Miss Juneteenth Oregon provides education, tools, and resources to help youth build resilience, gain confidence and make positive life choices. We aim to empower black and brown youth in Oregon and SW Washington through mentorship, workshops, social and emotional learning programs, volunteering and field-trips.
We host workshops throughout the year that help our program participants gain skills to manage or reduce stress, develop or improve resilience, set goals, nurture social circles, apply for college and manage finances. The program aims to help motivate, inspire, and educate, providing lessons and pulling from experiences that are not discussed in a traditional classroom setting. The program extends beyond a physical space and challenges the youth to rise to their fullest potential. The youth that participate in this program will take the skills and experiences learned back to their respective communities and encourage other youth of color to value themselves and appreciate their culture and heritage.
We know that black and brown youth benefit socially, emotionally and academically from mentoring relationships with nurturing and consistent adults. We seek to place program participants with engaged and active mentors in order to ensure our program participants get the encouragement and support they need to thrive.
Our leadership development curriculum helps black and brown youth develop skills to intentionally and positively influence the actions of others through a culturally-specific lens. We emphasize not only learning about leadership but practicing leadership through service learning opportunities in the community.
- The education program is open to girls 6 – 19 years old.
- Potential participants can register here. Registration is open year-round. If interested in participating in the pageant, registration is due no later than March 31st.
- Interested individuals can participate in the education program without having to compete in the pageant.
- There is an entry fee of $25 and we will also do several fundraisers throughout the year.
- All education program participants are required to participate in the bi-monthly workshop series. Sessions are facilitated by pageant leadership and outside speakers. Sessions are focused on building resilience, boosting self-confidence, community building and service, and financial literacy.